The Los Angeles Police Department's West Valley station issued an advisory Wednesday noting an increase of motorcycle thefts in the area.
The best theft deterrent, the department said, is to use more than one security measure, with the reasoning that the more a potential theif has to defeat, the less potential he has for success.
Following are some tips provided by the department:
- Always keep the ignition locked.
- Secure your motorcycle to a fixed or anchored object or another motorcycle.
- Park in a secure and well-lit area. If in doubt, do not park there.
- If your bike is not garaged, keep it covered; non-name brand covers are preferable to prevent advertising the type of bike that lies beneath.
- Limit the amount of time your bike is left unattended or unsupervised.
- Vary your routes and routines to prevent being followed.
- Use a high quality lock and chain. Secure the chain through the bike frame versus the wheels, which can be easily removed.
- Consider adding a motorcycle anti-theft, or security system.